It’s that time of year again—birds are chirping, flowers are blooming and the sun is shining. Recently, you adjusted your clocks for Daylight Saving Time, then soon after, you welcomed the spring equinox. So long, winter! Now that March has been an eventful month full of transitions, why not take some time to spring clean your hiring process? Let’s get down to the dirt and take a moment to refresh your recruiting plans.
- Declutter your work environment. Spring cleaning starts here. Are you still holding onto that resume from the underqualified and inexperienced candidate that was disrespectful to you in their last interview? If you ruled out the candidate from the start, why are you hanging onto their information? Mess creates stress, so declutter your work environment. A tidy work space can have a tremendous impact on your performance and personal well-being. Start with a clean slate.
- Update calendars and schedules.
Everyone has their to-do lists, but are you really organized with your meetings, dates, and appointments? Plans change often, but you must stick to the schedule. Interview after interview, meeting after meeting, your daily agenda needs to be structured so that you don’t let the right candidate slip by. Keep your calendar up to date with reminders and notifications.
- Evaluate your hiring process and goals.
You need to have a strategic game plan when it comes to your hiring process. If your plans are not consistent or organized, your goals will be unfulfilled.For example, ask yourself these questions:
- Is our hiring strategy effective?
- What are our short-term goals?
- What are our long-term goals?
- What is our hiring volume in the course of one week, one month, one year, and so on?
- What is our budget within our business model?
- Who is our target market?
- What is our biggest business challenge?
- Fine-tune job descriptions.
Be specific and precise as to what the job opening entails. You do not want to receive an excess amount of resumes because your job description is vague. For example, if the position requires the candidate to be fluent in another language, be sure to include that in the description. Consider creating a branded template for job descriptions or a written interview guide that can be shared with others in the company.
- Re-evaluate your interview process.
Hiring the wrong candidate can be very costly. Consider ways to reduce the amount of bad hires such as checking for references, asking difficult interview questions, bringing the candidate in for follow-up interviews and exposing the candidate to different personalities and key players that he or she will interact with as part of the job. These will help you determine if the candidate has the right skills and a personality that will fit in with your company culture.
- Evaluate yourself.
You are an extremely talented individual and you love your career. Last but not least, now it’s a good time to evaluate your strengths and weaknesses. After you review yourself, you can then seek guidance from other hiring managers or peers and focus on the areas you need to improve on. You can in turn educate them with your knowledge and skills.Statistics show that the most common reason employees leave jobs is because of management. If you become a stronger and more effective manager, you’ll be more likely to attract and retain the right candidates.
Ask yourself a few of these questions:
- What was my greatest accomplishment this week, month, year, and so on?
- How can I advance my skills?
- What is my strongest talent and how can I apply this to my recruitment process?
- Have I set goals for myself?
- Have I achieved the goals that I set for myself?
- What motivates me?
- What distracts me?
- What mistakes have I made and how did I overcome them?
The spring season is ideal for hiring professionals. It’s the perfect time of year to freshen up and revive your recruitment program, employee structure and the organization as a whole. Here at The Centrics Group, we are always finding and placing great talent—it’s what we do! If you’re looking to attract an incredible candidate, contact one of our many skilled recruiters today. Stay tuned for next month’s blog!