The nature of technology is that it’s constantly changing, and the tech market can often be highly unpredictable. Just last year, security companies like FireEye and Palo Alto were flying high in response to a wave of high-profile data breaches. But now the threat landscape has evolved, and we’ve seen their valuations dip. Sometimes these changes bring about corporate layoffs or restructuring. We’ve seen it time and time again.
Many sources have confirmed that Cisco Systems will be laying off as many as 14,000 employees in the near future. When news like this breaks, you can’t help but wonder: “What would I do if I were laid off?” The career experts at The Centrics Group are here to give you guidance on how to handle a layoff, should you ever find yourself in that situation. Below are four steps to turning a layoff into a bright career opportunity.
- Engage in self-discovery
- Forbes magazine published a study indicating that only 13% of people in the work force feel a sense of passion for their work, and that a whopping 63% are completely disengaged from their jobs. This is your chance to stop settling for just another paycheck, and discover what truly motivates you. Passion drives innovation, and you can be a difference-maker simply by believing in what you are doing.
- Take a break. It doesn’t have to be a year-long excursion across the Sahara, but take a week or two to reflect on what sets your coals on fire. Ask yourself questions like, “Where do I want to be in the next 5-10 years?”, “What do I believe in?”, “How can I use my skills in IT to make a difference?”
- Find the perfect job
- Knowing what you believe in is the first step. Now it is time to discover how you can contribute to your dream and make a difference. Are there activities that you often lose track of time while doing? What do you believe you excel at? What do others say you excel at? If you want to take it one step further, ask an expert to help you discover your unique cognitive and emotional strengths.
- Now it is time to research the perfect job description that revolves around your passion and your current IT skills. Take some time to acquire new certifications or technical skills, especially if they are highly sought after. (Read here about the top most profitable IT certifications). Go to a job fair and meet people who are in those fields, and ask them what they most enjoy about their job. This is your chance to seek a career that puts you in a better financial standing, as well as fuels your passions.
- Tailor your resume
- Work with a recruiter to find the perfect job quickly
- The IT recruiters at The Centrics Group are experts in helping you align your strengths with the perfect job. By leveraging our extensive network, we connect you with right people and open doors to expand you career path much faster than if you were job searching on your own. If you want to land a job quickly, let us help you. Click here to contact one of our talented recruiters.
You may feel that losing your job puts you in in a dark place, but we want to inspire you to take this opportunity to see the brighter side of a layoff and pursue a career that you’re passionate about.
Let the team of experienced IT recruiters at The Centrics Group help you find the IT job that’s right for you and guide you through the hiring process. Whether you’re an IT job candidate or an IT company looking to hire, contact a recruiter today to learn more about how we can help connect you to the right people. Contact one of our many skilled IT recruiters at 1-888-551-6343 or by e-mail.